Another child comes forward in rape case against government official

An additional rape charge has been opened against a 49-year-old senior government official for allegedly raping a minor. This is the third child to come forward with allegations of rape against the man from Shatale, who work as a director at a certain municipality in Gauteng. The suspect is expected back in court today for the rape charge against the 14-year old.

The suspect and his 36-year-old wife were arrested on the 23rd of April for a case of rape involving two minors aged between 13 and 15-years-old.  It is reported that the wife, who is referred to as “an aunt to the victims” forced them to have sexual intercourse with her husband in exchange for meals.

An additional charge of sexual assault emanated after a 14-year-old girl reported that the suspect, who is her neighbour and her friend’s uncle, raped her in 2014.

Police spokesperson Colonel Donald Mdhluli said the minor was playing with the suspect’s niece when the abuse allegedly occurred.

“The victim, who was seven-year-old at the time, revealed that she was playing with the suspect’s niece when he sent her (niece) to the shop. The suspect then took the victim to his room where he took off her clothes and raped her. She further stated that the suspect threatened to kill her if she told anyone,” said Mdhluli.

The victim indicated that she was living in fear ever since the ordeal. When she heard the suspect was arrested last week Friday, she had the courage to break her silence and report the matter to police. The child has also been moved to a place of safety.

The rape of the two other minors occurred between 2019 and 2020. The cousins were reportedly “lured from Mozambique by their aunt under false pretence that they were going to receive a better education in South Africa”.

It is alleged that when the victims arrived in the country, they were subjected into rape, as well as gross human violations. According to allegations, the girls were literally kept as slaves by their own aunt and uncle.

Mdhluli said that the sequence of events indicate that their aunt would often force the girls to engage in sexual acts with her husband, and the terrible allegations suggest that when the girls refused to obey, “they would be severely assaulted and starved”.

The government official and his wife appeared before the Bushbuckridge Magistrate’s Court on Monday, 26 April, on two counts of rape. They were remanded in custody until 29 April for a formal bail application.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *