Mpumalanga soccer match turns deadly after mid-match argument.

A soccer match in Mpumalanga turned deadly over the weekend when an argument between two teams led to two shooting incidents. The police confirmed that an investigation into the shootings is underway with the source of the violence being a soccer match near Barberton. An argument between two teams turned into violence and multiple shots were fired at the game itself.
After two cars brought gun shot victims to the Barberton Provincial Hospital, an armed group reportedly torched the car of one of the men, then proceeded to shoot the driver, who later died.
Mpumalanga police Spokesperson, Colonel Donald Mdhluli said that no arrests have been made yet. Mdhluli said the police are investigating a case of murder and malicious damage to property. He said they are also investigating two cases of attempted murder.
Mpumalanga MEC for health Sasekani Manzini condemned the violent attack on provincial hospital grounds. Manzini also confirmed that an armed mob descended upon the hospital, determined to mete out their own justice.
“On arrival, they found the gate locked and they jumped over the palisade fence and went to the casualty ward. Fortunately, casualty security door was locked and police were already inside. They could not get access and went to the parking area and shot the driver, who was escorting one of the victims. The group also set his car alight. We condemn the incident, the Mpumalanga department of health calls on the community to refrain from attacking patients who are admitted in our hospitals,” said Manzini.
“It is very sad that our people resolve to taking the law into their hands. It is also not acceptable that our people now force their entry into our health facilities and seek revenge. This incident has seriously affected the staff and patients in Barberton hospital. We want to plead with our communities that they should not enter our health facilities and seek revenge as this endanger the lives of our staff and patients,” she added.
The MEC said she would like to thank the South African Police Services for their swift response on the incident and for handling the situation well. She said the police ensured that there’s no staff member who was affected.
Police presence at the hospital has been ramped up in the wake of the disturbing incident.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *